“When a woman rises up in glory, her energy is magnetic and her sense of possibility contagious.”
– Marianne Williamson
Good Morning Love!
It’s Greta here! I’m back with another “Wake up Wednesday” that will really…wake you up!
Things have been a little crazy over here lately! I don’t know about you, but I find it really hard to adjust back to my regular schedule and routines after a long break. Of course, the Holiday vacation was much needed and much appreciated. Only problem? Now I don’t want to go back to ‘real life’.
On the other hand, I know, deep down, I thrive on routine. I feel my best self when I do (basically) the same things every day. Yes, spontaneity is an important (and necessary) part of life. But I think it’s easier to be flexible and enjoy the unexpected when you approach life from a grounded, centered place.
My morning routine is my secret weapon for happiness and productivity. When I follow through on these key activities (or non-activities) I’m about to tell you about, I notice a HUGE difference.
This is what happens when I go through all the steps in my morning routine:
- -I feel more in control of my day and excited for what life might throw at me.
- -Traffic doesn’t seem nearly as bad.
- -I’m a lot more patient and compassionate with my customers and clients.
- -I made better food choices (think eating at home rather than spending $10+ on a greasy veggie burger)
- -My productivity increases like 70%. In other words? I get A LOT more accomplished.
- -I sleep better at night knowing I did my very best that day
I’m not sure I covered everything. But you get the point. A healthy morning routine rocks!
We all have our own way of welcoming the day. Today I’m going to share with you (in detail) what my morning looks like. Please, please, please give any or all of these things a try.
Because often, how you start your day is how you finish your day. When you greet the day with awareness and enthusiasm, you’re more likely to go to bed feeling fulfilled and content.
Ready to get more done and make every minute of your day count? Then come along with me!
Side Notes: I have a bit of a split schedule. I spend 2-3 days in the office at my corporate job. The other days are spent working from home or enjoying the weekend. That’s why not every day is exactly the same.
- Wake up! When I go into the office, I’m usually up by 6:15am. If I’m at home, I’ll wake up at 7am. I usually feel pretty well rested, even though it’s really early (for me). In my mind, I recite the Dalai Lama’s Precious Human Life Quote. This helps me to remember that it’s a privilege to get up in the morning and live my life. If I forget this part, I’ll automatically focus on how annoyed I am about having to wake up and go to work.
- Stretch. Brush my teeth. And start the coffee. In bed, I like to do a couple yoga poses to get some energy back into my legs. My hips tend to be tight, so poses like happy baby and supine pigeon work magic for me. Next, I brush my teeth and press ‘start’ on the coffee maker. I get the coffee prepped and ready to brew the night before. It saves me at least 2 minutes.
- Meditate for at least 5 minutes. While the coffee is brewing and making my apartment smell delicious, I take a seat. I have this maroon meditation cushion my dad got me in SF for my 16th birthday. It’s my happy place (most of the time). Now you might be thinking, “Why the hell would I spend 5 minutes of my precious morning time sitting and doing nothing?!” Trust me. This is the absolute, #1, most important part of my morning routine. It creates space and sets the tone for the rest of the day. I believe the time I spend in meditation triples my productivity (at least). Lately, I’ve been using an app called “Calm”. They have tons of guided meditations you can use..for free! Sitting still isn’t easy, but all the cool (famous and high achieving) people are doing it. 😉
- Journal. After my meditation, I grab a cup of coffee (with a little full fat coconut milk), my Five Minute Journal and my Desire Map Planner to do some writing. If you refuse to meditate, then you should definitely consider a little morning time journaling. It’s another great way to create some headspace. I love my Five Minute Journal because it’s quick, easy and effective. Danielle LaPorte’s new planners are ridiculously beautiful and awesome. When I write stuff down, I’m waaay more likely to actually do it. And I get so much satisfaction out of crossing things off my to do list. Try it!
- Pack my lunch or get to work. If I’m going into the office, I try to pack most of my lunch the night before. If I forget, I’ll get it together after I meditate. I also throw in some yoga clothes to teach or workout once I’m off. It’s so much easier to exercise right after work before going home and getting a little too comfortable. When I work from home, I’ll fire up the computer and check my email (in my fuzzy leopard print bathrobe, of course).
- Beautify. I do like to try a little bit when I go to work. Basically? I rinse my face with water and put on this amazing moisturizer. Then I throw on a little makeup, get dressed, and I’m out the door!
- Listen to something inspiring. If I’m commuting, I love to spend my 25+ minute drive listening to something positive. I use Podcasts and Audible to listen to The Tim Ferriss Show or Serial. My favorite audiobooks usually fall into 3 categories: business, self-help or comedy. It’s very important to fill your mind with life giving information that makes you feel good….especially when dealing with traffic. I would say the only downside to working from home is missing this precious time in my car (never thought I’d hear those words come out of my mouth). I absolutely love learning new things that make me a better person.
- Drink something green. Around 10am, I’ll break into my green juice or smoothie. Eating vegetables every day is an absolute must. Juicing or smoothie-ing makes it super simple. The best value I’ve found on juice (thanks, Colleen) is at Whole Foods. They sell a 32 oz. of a delicious drink called “Green Aid” for between $10-$12. This is a great deal considering boutique juice shops usually charge $8-$10 for about 16 oz. If you’re feeling a smoothie, try spinach, banana and almond milk. I also love frozen pineapple, frozen mango, banana, spinach and coconut water for a tropical summer twist. Want more inspiration? Get this book!
- Workout! My ideal day always includes some kind of workout class at or before noon. Usually I shoot for some kind of yoga or dance inspired session. But I also like Tabata and other HIIT style classes to switch it up. If I’m in the office, I try to walk around the building for 20-30 minutes once or twice a day just to get my blood pumping. We all know exercise gives you energy and improves your mood. So why not get up and move?!
There you have it! My morning routine works great for me and I hope you’ll give it a try. Take what works and leave the rest.
Write back and tell me what you do in the morning to have the best day ever.
Here’s to happy & productive days ahead!
PS. I’m off to Mexico in a few days (yay)! Crossing my fingers the margaritas won’t get in the way of my meditation practice. 😉
PSS. Is there anything you’d like me to cover on the blog? I’m open and willing to write about (almost) any topics you can think of! Feel free to email me any time with ideas, questions or thoughts. This is for you, remember?